Bolton Ice Fishing Derby
Bolton Landing - Lake George
The Bolton Ice Fishing Derby is an annual event held in Veteran's Memorial Park, Bolton Landing, Lake George, NY, generally on the third Saturday in February. (… but check our events calendar for the exact date each year.)
It’s very competitive, as you can imagine, with $2,500 (… as of this writing) in cash awards at stake.
Cash prizes are given for the heaviest fish, 1st Place ($300), 2nd Place $200, and 3rd Place ($125) for the following categories:
There is also a tournament for kids with a special grand prize.
If you decide to compete … be prepared to wake up very early!!!
The Bolton Ice Fishing Derby starts at 5:00am but you probably should plan to be there earlier to register (… although I believe online registration is available).
If you are a beginner and would just like to learn more about ice fishing, there is also a free ice fishing clinic starting at 10am on Sawmill Bay (… just off the Veterans Park shoreline).
They will teach you how to set up a “tip-up” and drill your own hole in the ice. You will be able to experience Adirondack ice fishing first hand by “jigging” for small fish.
Children under the age of 16 are not required to have a fishing license. If you decide to participate don’t forget to dress appropriately. Depending on the weather it can get quite cold out there!
Bolton Ice Fishing Derby Guidelines: (check with organizers for updated or additional rules)
- New York State and federal game laws apply.
- Lake George has special regulations of two fish per person per day, an 18" minimum for Salmon and 23" for Lake Trout. (… But I understand that a Bolton ice fishing tournament minimum of 28" on Lake Trout will be in effect that day).
- Competitors are subject to scrutiny by judges during the event and they can disqualify any suspect fish (... judges decisions are final).
- Any un-sportsman-like conduct, unsafe conduct, or lack of adhere to the rules will not be permitted and will result in disqualification and the entry fee will be forfeited.
- All of Lake George is in bounds for fishing.
- There is a limited of five tip ups for fishing holes and two hand lines per competitor.
- Registration and weigh-in station will be located at Veterans Park.
- You must have a receipt to enter fish. They will be held until after the tournament is finished. But catch and release is encouraged.
- Tournament hours are from 5am - 3 pm, and all fish must be weighed in before 3:45pm.
- There is a limit of one winner per competitor for each fish category.
- In the event that there is a tie, the tie breaker is the longest fish. If that still results in a tie the final tie breaker is for the earliest time of day the fish was weighed in.
- Prizes amounts awarded assume there are a minimum of 150 entries.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
For further information call (518) 644-3831 or (518) 743-1116
Have fun and stay warm!!!
Return to Home Page
Return to Events
Bolton Bolton Ice Fishing